Providing a clear and practical definition to the vision of the Government to develop Sri Lanka as a competitive Maritime and Logistics Centre and leading the regional Maritime Sector, the Hambantota Port is being completed ahead of schedule in 2011.
Chairman of Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) Dr. Priyath Bandu Wickrama said that SLPA, very well ahead of the schedule and is planning to complete the project by 2010. "We have Colombo Port Expansion Project as far as Colombo is concerned, and have called for tenders to build one terminal as well.
In addition we have already planned to have six gantry cranes and 30 transfer cranes. We have also commenced construction of the yacht Marina and the passenger terminal at Galle Port as we are planning to promote it as a centre of tourism. Steps have been taken towards the construction of Oluvil Port as well. SLPA itself will invest US$1.6 billion which is almost Rs.16 billion on those projects," he said.
Hambantota Port Development Project was commenced on the 15th of January last year with an estimated construction cost of US$361 million.
Currently, the cofferdam construction, caisson construction of service quay wall, casting of concrete armour and construction of core layer in break waters of the project have fully completed while 70% of the construction of under layer in the break waters and 60% of the construction of armour layer in the break waters have also been completed. Four million Cu. m of the basin excavation of Hambantota Port Project has also been done while 250,000 Cu. m of channel dredging has also been completed.
The total consultancy of Hambantota Port Project is carried out by SLPA. Ex-Im Bank of China provides 85% of the funding while the remaining 15% is invested by SLPA.